View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 09:17 PM   #24 (permalink)
jkp1187
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000mc View Post
hoping for 30mpg, i think you'll have alot more luck with the 3800's than the crown vic

city/hwy for '01 buicks
crown vic 16/23
regal 17/28
lesabre 17/27
park ave. 17/27
century 18/26 the century is not available with a 3.8, but only a 3.1 i'm guessing it has shorter gears hurting the hwy mpg

on the highway the 3800s have a 4-5mpg head start, if you could squeeze 30 out of a crown vic, you could squeeze 35 out of a 3800 about as easily
I'd prefer a Regal over the Century, just because they came with more luxury features (more likely to have leather, etc.) Certainly, it's far more likely for any Buick to have been owned by the proverbial little old lady who only drove it to church, which is another point in that marque's favor.

Note, though that the Regal LS has the 3800 naturally aspirated V6. The Regal GS will have the 3800 supercharged V6, trading a little less fuel economy for a little more HP (and a lot more TQ). The supercharged application will have a little more in the way of maintenance requirements, too. RegalGS.org is one forum to look at for info on Buicks.

By the way, I in no way intended my earlier posts to be taken as ridiculing the idea of getting a larger vehicle. All I was questioning was whether or not the Crown Vic was the best choice in terms of full sized cars (especially when fuel economy is a factor,) when the slightly smaller (but still full sized,) GM "W" bodies with the 3800 V6 tended to have better performance, handling, and fuel economy.

At the end of the day, as the guy above said, buy what you want, drive it, and be happy.