View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 11:38 PM   #27 (permalink)
2000mc
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
There are two maintenance issues with the 3.8L W bodies I can think of off the top of my head.

(1) The lower intake manifold gasket tends to leak as the car gets older. Expect to pay ~ $400-$800 to have a shop replace it.
(2) The intermediate steering shaft has a tendency to make a tapping noise if it is insufficiently lubricated. You can pay $5.00 for a lube kit from GM, and it'll go away for a while. Eventually, when this stops working, expect to pay ~ $200 to have a shop replace it.

#1 upper intake/TB gaskets are the most common. also the egr can burn up the upper intake by the coolant passages for the TB heater. lower intake gaskets, coolant elbow, water pump ... i wouldnt say any more common than the next vehicle. redesigned upper intake and TB gaskets came out several years ago that hold up better than originals.(on my moms 03 lesabre i replaced the upper + TB gasket at 35k mi, under warr. with over 110k now theyre still holding)

thats the series II, series III got an aluminum upper intake, i dont believe i've seen a coolant leak on one yet.
series I didnt have the upper intake issues of the series II either

#2 steering shafts... GM sucks here trucks vans cars. common on W body, more rare on H body, very rare/non issue on C body. do lube the shaft if the cheapy kit is available for your car. if the noise is not stoped, or returns in less than 5000miles. repeat...but follow provided directions. (wifes monte carlo was purchased w/110k , shaft was horribly loud, lubed, still quiet at 158k roughly 5yrs later)