View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 10:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
diesel_john
MP$

Send a message via MSN to diesel_john
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Seems like you've found a solution. I was going to suggest treating it like a binary problem. I'm assuming your injectors are fed a constant voltage to be "on" over a period of time then off again, so sampling that +voltage line and then dividing it over a time window should let you figure it out?
My goal has sort of evolved during this conversation.

This is my ultimate objective.

"seeking an inexpensive way to look at real time relative fuel flow for those people who can't afford a computer."

the way this 91F250 works, 'key prwr on' puts 12vdc on the 8 injectors full time, then the ECU grounds 4 injectors at once each revolution.(crude but half way effective)

So what is the best way to display the duration of that injector pulse?
For the least cost?

UNder economy conditions, my Analog meter is operating down in the 0 to 15% part of the scale. The reason I started down this path is because everyone either has a dwell meter or knows someone that has a dwell meter in the bottom of their box gathering dust.

This basic problem is probably why "digital" was invented. My electrical knowlege is obviously limited. If the best compromise between cost and ultility is a digital readout then what instrutment would give the most bang for the bucK? For people on a limited budget that is probably around 20 bucks.

I appreciate everyone patiently listening to my ramblings. For some reason my thoughts do not develop unless I put them out here on paper. But based on the number of pre-ODBII vehicles on the road, and what we modders know about real time feedback to the driver, I think there is a huge benefit to be realized if we can find an inexpensive way to display relative fuel flow beyond what a vacuum gage will show.

Last edited by diesel_john; 03-05-2008 at 11:15 AM..