Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2008, 10:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
MP$

Send a message via MSN to diesel_john
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Seems like you've found a solution. I was going to suggest treating it like a binary problem. I'm assuming your injectors are fed a constant voltage to be "on" over a period of time then off again, so sampling that +voltage line and then dividing it over a time window should let you figure it out?
My goal has sort of evolved during this conversation.

This is my ultimate objective.

"seeking an inexpensive way to look at real time relative fuel flow for those people who can't afford a computer."

the way this 91F250 works, 'key prwr on' puts 12vdc on the 8 injectors full time, then the ECU grounds 4 injectors at once each revolution.(crude but half way effective)

So what is the best way to display the duration of that injector pulse?
For the least cost?

UNder economy conditions, my Analog meter is operating down in the 0 to 15% part of the scale. The reason I started down this path is because everyone either has a dwell meter or knows someone that has a dwell meter in the bottom of their box gathering dust.

This basic problem is probably why "digital" was invented. My electrical knowlege is obviously limited. If the best compromise between cost and ultility is a digital readout then what instrutment would give the most bang for the bucK? For people on a limited budget that is probably around 20 bucks.

I appreciate everyone patiently listening to my ramblings. For some reason my thoughts do not develop unless I put them out here on paper. But based on the number of pre-ODBII vehicles on the road, and what we modders know about real time feedback to the driver, I think there is a huge benefit to be realized if we can find an inexpensive way to display relative fuel flow beyond what a vacuum gage will show.

Last edited by diesel_john; 03-05-2008 at 11:15 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Whoop's Wheels - '89 Honda Civic Wagovan
90 day: 39.09 mpg (US)
Does the dwell meter you are using have switchs for 4, 6 and 8 cylinders, or does it just have 3 different scales. If it has the switch, try going to 4 cylinder mode.

Your right, I do have a old dwell meter, I just hadn't considered using it in this manner. It isn't a perfect solution, but it is more information and to a large extent it is all really relevant to what speed I am driving and how I'm doing relative to it. I'll have to give it a try.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
MP$

Smile

the dwell just has one position and 3 scales, but i can make my own scale to read in GPH. the tach has three positions of course. the dwell of the injector pulse is directly related to fuel flow per unit time. Dwell is not directly related to RPM, that fooled me for a while. when i am stationary this KEL mileage computer reads in GPH. and i can set no load idle at 1k, 2k ,3k, 4k, RPM for example and the injector dwell tracks with the GPH not with the RPM. If i had an extra injector hooked to the fuel line and squirting in a graduated cylinder and wired up to one injector. And i ran my engine for 6 minutes at a constant dwell. Then i could calculate my fuel usage per hour at that dwell. And then when i'm out driving at that dwell number i would still be using that amount of fuel per hour. Amount of fuel sprayed in 6 minutes at steady speed X 10 X the number of injectors=fuel per hour. If i'm driving at 60 miles per hour then i'm going one mile a minute. From the previous sentence GPH / 60 = GPM. At 60 miles per hour, that gives me gallons per mile. Invert that and i have miles per gallon. i can figure it out once make up table to hang on the dash. does not matter what gear or RPM's. my dig is my meter has a small face and i can't see small changes. i am going to look at bigger meters and the digital duty cycle meters some more, but the least expensive digital i saw with a quick google was $60. my DVM doesn't have duty cycle. actually my dwell meter just happens to be 1 milliamp. full scale so i could tap into that and read thousands of an amp. on my DVM. i got to take the wire off one side of the milliamp meter and connect the DVM in series with it.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
diesel_john -

Would this fit the bill? :

LED Duty Cycle Meter for Fuel Injected Cars - US$42.31
http://autospeed.com/shop/category_579/browse.html

Quote:
Ref: High Performance Electronics Projects for Cars - Silicon Chip Publications.
Automatically operate an extra fuel injector or fuel pump etc, when your fuel injector duty cycle reaches a preset level. It measures the exact injection pulse from your ECU, and displays it on a pair of 7 segment LED displays. It offers a super-fast sampling rate to display real time injector pulsing, and the display is mounted on a small remote PCB so it’s suitable for dash mounting. A simple duty cycle generator is included for testing. Kit supplied with PCB, and all electronic components.
I don't think you would need it to operate an extra injector, but it appears to at least show the magic pulse number you are looking for.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 03-06-2008, 07:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
MP$

Smile

That would work, now $42 is the price to beat. my extra injector procedure would calibrate it if they don't total the squirt time. if they keep track of the total, then it is a flow meter, and all i got to do is go out and run a gallon though it and the number i get is the fudge factor. the preset level could be a shift light.

i am amazed they don't sell a flow meter made like this. The market is huge. all the cars and light trucks made from 1985 to 1993. Many are gas guzzlers and every single person who has one is wondering (even if they won't admit it) how in the heck can i reduce my gas bill? And who will buy it when ican no longer afford it?

a duty meter is almost instanteous. a flow meter would have a slight delay, but nothing like a mileage computer.

Last edited by diesel_john; 03-06-2008 at 08:06 AM..
Old 05-04-2008, 08:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
MP$

Smile

would it be possible to put this thread in the instrumentation category or somewhere more pertinent.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:20 AM   #17 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Done

_
_
Old 05-11-2008, 04:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

diesel: "now $42 is the price to beat"

I realize that this thread is stale, so maybe you're not watching, or you've found a different solution. But just in case, I thought I would mention this. Harbor Freight has a DMM with a dwell feature:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95670

$32.99, plus shipping (about $8, unless you walk into their store).

I just got it, and it works fine (set to dwell) for monitoring my injectors (VX). Also works fine to monitor my O2 sensor (although I can't monitor my O2 and my injectors at the same time, obviously).
Old 05-11-2008, 09:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
MP$

That's cool, I am also following the development of the MPGuino.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

GMC Sonoma - '94 GMC Sonoma
90 day: 36.97 mpg (US)
Here is a simple circuit that should let you use any old voltmeter (analog or digital) as a fuel injector monitoring device. You can adjust the two potentiometers to suit you, i.e. to put the needle in the range you want it to be in.

The transistor is a NPN small signal switching transistor such as the very common 2N3904.

The diode is any silicon diode such as a 1N4001 etc.

The 10k resistor on the input wire insures that this will not affect your injectors or ECU's circuitry since they operate at a very low impedance and this is around 1000 times higher.

None of the component values are too critical since you use the two pots to adjust it to suit.

The "to inj." wire goes to the same place you are hooking the dwell meter.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	injector monitor.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	752  
Reply  Post New Thread