View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #26 (permalink)
Luxbg
EcoModding Lurker

03 OZ - '03 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally
90 day: 34.67 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
This time at cars.com:

At Highway Speeds, Mileage Drops More for Fuel-Efficient Models - link to article
As with the AutoBlog piece, a few commenters immediately point out the flaw in the analysis. And then they're countered by people who insist on things like:

...and...

Sheesh.
It is quite funny, but I had a similar experience. Before I got my Lancer I used to drive a Neon and averaged about 200 miles per tank (back then I didn't use to pay too much attention to milage so this is as exact as I can get). One summer however I undertook a road trip to Canada and was in a bit of a rush getting home where I did 80 - 85 mph the whole way home with very few brakes on the 800 mile trip. Surprisingly, I got almost 280 miles out of my last tank on that trip. Considering how fast I was going this surprised me back then, compared to my usual highway speed of 65.

In retrospect I realize that there were a few favorable factors that helped with the big mileage jump: first it was exclusively highway driving, my regular tanks always included about 30-40% city driving and as I now know, without proper driving technique city really kills gas mileage. Second, for about 3/4 of the tank I was following a Jeep Wrangler that seemed to be in as much a hurry as me. I was following behind at a reasonable difference but at that speed, even that probably had an impact on my mileage. Lastly, going from Pittsburgh to Baltimore has a net negative elevation change of more than 1000 feet so that probably wasn't detrimental to my mileage either.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that a lot of people who are not very informed on the subject, may pull generalizations from similar personal experiences, not realizing that they're missing vital parts of the puzzle.

Last edited by Luxbg; 09-12-2009 at 01:32 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Luxbg For This Useful Post:
mikeyjd (06-11-2013)