View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #62 (permalink)
jkp1187
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
Additional faults - that 2.5 foot high guard rail along the edge of the cliff is less likely to stop a 6 foot high, 5000 lbs SUV from going over the edge than a 4 foot high, 2500 lbs car.

Also inertia isn't your friend when you're trying to recover from a skid on a slick, icy road. Greater weight = greater inertia.
In my judgment, two of the biggest problems with SUVs is that a certain class of people think that they're safer in them, and so feel that they have more license to drive in an unsafe manner (excessive speed, sudden lane changes, etc.) because of that perceived safety. Then there is another class of SUV drivers who bought an SUV because they do not drive very well to begin with, and believe the SUV will protect them from the inevitable accidents that they find themselves in thanks to their poor driving skills. As a result, it's a safe bet that when encountering SUV drivers on the highways, they are going to be bad/erratic/unsafe drivers. (The exceptions I've noticed seem to be those drivers who use their SUVs in the capacity of sport or utility vehicles - for offroading, towing things, hauling things, etc.)

For that reason, I generally try to keep a good cushion between me and SUV drivers either ahead or behind when I'm on the road. I just assume that the vast majority of them are bad drivers to begin with, and are likely to behave erratically. Occasionally, I am pleasantly surprised, but not very often.