Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #61 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
SUV's "pigs on stilts"

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #62 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
Additional faults - that 2.5 foot high guard rail along the edge of the cliff is less likely to stop a 6 foot high, 5000 lbs SUV from going over the edge than a 4 foot high, 2500 lbs car.

Also inertia isn't your friend when you're trying to recover from a skid on a slick, icy road. Greater weight = greater inertia.
In my judgment, two of the biggest problems with SUVs is that a certain class of people think that they're safer in them, and so feel that they have more license to drive in an unsafe manner (excessive speed, sudden lane changes, etc.) because of that perceived safety. Then there is another class of SUV drivers who bought an SUV because they do not drive very well to begin with, and believe the SUV will protect them from the inevitable accidents that they find themselves in thanks to their poor driving skills. As a result, it's a safe bet that when encountering SUV drivers on the highways, they are going to be bad/erratic/unsafe drivers. (The exceptions I've noticed seem to be those drivers who use their SUVs in the capacity of sport or utility vehicles - for offroading, towing things, hauling things, etc.)

For that reason, I generally try to keep a good cushion between me and SUV drivers either ahead or behind when I'm on the road. I just assume that the vast majority of them are bad drivers to begin with, and are likely to behave erratically. Occasionally, I am pleasantly surprised, but not very often.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #63 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
Here are two lists that I made...

List of vehicles to watch for on the road:
SUV's
lifted/loud trucks
minivans
motorcycles

List of people to watch on the road:
teenagers
women
old people
people who you can't see their head (too short)
Old 09-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #64 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
In my judgment, two of the biggest problems with SUVs is that a certain class of people think that they're safer in them, and so feel that they have more license to drive in an unsafe manner (excessive speed, sudden lane changes, etc.) because of that perceived safety. Then there is another class of SUV drivers who bought an SUV because they do not drive very well to begin with, and believe the SUV will protect them from the inevitable accidents that they find themselves in thanks to their poor driving skills. As a result, it's a safe bet that when encountering SUV drivers on the highways, they are going to be bad/erratic/unsafe drivers. (The exceptions I've noticed seem to be those drivers who use their SUVs in the capacity of sport or utility vehicles - for offroading, towing things, hauling things, etc.)

For that reason, I generally try to keep a good cushion between me and SUV drivers either ahead or behind when I'm on the road. I just assume that the vast majority of them are bad drivers to begin with, and are likely to behave erratically. Occasionally, I am pleasantly surprised, but not very often.
I assume this about everyone. Few prove me wrong.

I've also found that those who openly claim to be "great drivers" are worst... those who don't tend to brag about their driving skills, but can calmly say that they're attentive while operating, and can be proactive while operating, are the better drivers. Guess how many people don't brag....

Old 09-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #65 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
I assume this about everyone. Few prove me wrong.

I've also found that those who openly claim to be "great drivers" are worst... those who don't tend to brag about their driving skills, but can calmly say that they're attentive while operating, and can be proactive while operating, are the better drivers. Guess how many people don't brag....
Yep, I agree with that 100%.

Reply  Post New Thread