View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #31 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
24 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by robchalmers View Post
Seriously?? Traffic lights?

rant brewing

at the mo THE WORLD needs to look for a new direction for fuel usage/alternatives rather than excuses to let us keep the drinkers we have. Sorry but freezing R&D to fund traffic light syncronisation?? That means current things Dodge Rams / F350's down to other 'good' MPg'ers of 20-30mpg will stay the norm. what kind of logic or progress is that when the US could drastically reduce foriegn oil dependancy / emissions just by simply saying 'the rest of the western world has a lower polution/head level why is that?' or do I really need a 5.7L V8 truck to pick-up a bag of groceries?? when there is technology out there that means you could have a SUV that does 100+% better on fuel or better yet a car that does 200-300% better? Don't get me wrong WE over here in europe do have similar issues but we're changing our habbits by taxing emissions - and we also have extortionate fuel prices that kinda forced our hand, but the average household across here would choke on their lunch if you said 24mpgus (taking a rough average of cars I've looked at in the states) was acceptable.

I applaud the Obama administration if they were to put in a 38MPG minimum, maybe I just don't understand but why is it so hard to get through an EPA test? is it a 'Big oil' issue that they don't want foriegn cars sipping fuel?

Sorry - rant over
In spite of improved automotive mpg due to CAFE standards,the American fleet is only achieving 16-mpg.The difference between what the cars can do and their actual performance is wrapped up in traffic congestion,some of which is "created" by municipal governments within the U.S.,something motorists and automakers have no control over.--------- From my own personal investigations,I've found that traffic light syncronization can "double" my urban mpg,cut CO2 emissions in half,reduce NOx by half,reduce my urban fuel cost by half,and reduce US reliance on foreign oil by half.------------ For what US taxpayers lose each year in slick television advertising-induced higher consumer prices,the US could,at no cost,finance traffic light syncronization,nationwide.------------- If the same money is spent on emissions control R&D,you get a clean car/truck/SUV which becomes "dirty" while suffering mortal momentum genocide at each stoplight,for the entire nation.------------- A 6,200 % return on investment (tax-free) should appeal to free-market capitalists.