View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #22 (permalink)
zjrog
Ecomod noob

ZJ - '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Upcountry
90 day: 20.57 mpg (US)

Neon - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)

S'Crew - '02 Ford F150 Supercrew XLT
90 day: 16.4 mpg (US)

Ranger - '90 Ford Ranger
Last 3: 28.02 mpg (US)

Not the Jeep - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 34.11 mpg (US)
I can honestly admit to not forgetting those higher prices. I bought my Neon when gas hit $2/gal in 2003. And you can guess why I drive it more than Jeep Grand Cherokee for my commute.

But also admit that there are plenty that don't remember. Or, are in denial prices will go up again.

I really don't know whether or not we have reached peak oil or not. We have untapped reserves right here under our own feet that we aren't allowed to get to. Wouldn't it be nice to not be beholden to foreign governments or interests for our energy? And having our own supply would give us more time to work on better solutions for other issues as well, without being ridiculously expensive as well.

I'm all for electric cars and such, IF THEY HAD the range I need (my commute is 100 miles roundtrip, with a mountain pass in the middle each way) with the load I carry (4 people in my carpool). We're not there YET, but I have no doubt we will be in 10 years or less. And no, I cannot move closer to my job as there isn't any place to live near where I work.

Make the alternatives as attractive in price as the staus quo, and the world will beat the doors down.