View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 02:14 PM   #2292 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Hi Hondo! It won't let me send messages with the PM right now. A database error. I hope you get this message:

First, sorry about the tape on the end caps. I didn't know if you would want access to the inside of the controller, so I didn't glue them on. I figured I would leave that up to you.

The Red wire is for the 12v battery +. The black wire is for 12v battery -. The yellow wire isn't supported in software. It's a pretty easy thing to add. I just didn't have the setup in my car to test it. I'm going to order a
12v automotive relay for my precharge resistor, then I'll add the software for the relay. Then the turn-on sequence will be one step:

1) turn on key, which engages 12v power to controller, and closes 12v relay for the pre-charge resistor. Then software will close the main contactor after a few seconds. Then you drive around, and turn off the key. haha. pretty easy.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Right now the turn on sequence is:
1) Turn on 12v power to the controller.
2) Pre-charge controller caps.
3) close main contactor and drive around.

Turn off:
1) open main contactor (and precharge resistor if it was still closed)
2) turn off 12v power to controller.

The twisted wires (white and green I think?) are the 5 kOhm POT wires. It doesn't matter which of those 2 goes with which pot wires. Ignore the yellow until I get that stupid relay installed. Then I can get the software working, send you guys a new fancy improved chip, and you can start using the easy turn on/turn off stuff. sorry!

I tried to be really careful. There isn't much room for error though. If something blows up, just let me know, and I'll see what I can do.