View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 03:35 AM   #25 (permalink)
blueflame
Master EcoModder

Now looking to move away from the internet router......

But wait, I live in a very high signal zone. We get good reception on all the TV channels with only a lead and no aerial....radio, everything

I have 4 wireless network routers near me that my computer picks up

I'm very near a major freakin freeway and live in Auckland a city compared to LA for cars and car culture.

It would be cool if you could get a score on where you live and work in regards to pollutions and radiations. I suppose its easy to do yourself with instrumentation.

Thanks greasemonkee for highlighting the importance of intensity proximity and time exposed. 24/7 wireless internet routers next to the computer users legs sound like an easy fix. I would like to sometimes turn mine off, but the people downstairs use it.

I wonder what EMF's that occur INSIDE A CAR specifically are different from not being in a car. And whether that car was made of steel, aluminium like the 1st gen Honda Insight in question, glass, or some other non conductive material, or even plastic, fibreglass etc. I think the term is a Faraday cage.

DEFINITION - A Faraday cage is a metallic enclosure that prevents the entry or escape of an electromagnetic field (EM field). An ideal Faraday cage consists of an unbroken, perfectly conducting shell. This ideal cannot be achieved in practice, but can be approached by using fine-mesh copper screening. For best performance, the cage should be directly connected to an earth ground.
Faraday cages are used in electronic labs where stray EM fields must be kept out. This is important in the testing of sensitive wireless receiving equipment. In addition, a Faraday cage can prevent the escape of the EM fields emitted by a cathode-ray-tube (CRT) computer monitor. Such fields can be intercepted and translated to allow hackers to remotely view on-screen data in real time without the need for wires, cables, or cameras. This practice, known as van Eck phreaking, can also be used by government officials to view the computer activities of known criminals and certain criminal suspects.
A heavy-duty Faraday cage can protect against direct lightning strikes. When properly connected to an earth ground, the cage conducts the high current harmlessly to ground, and keeps the EM pulse from affecting personnel or hardware inside.

Every now and then you see a car with the strap hanging down to the road surface. Now I get what they are trying to do. I wonder how long they last? A rolling faraday's cage