View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 09:37 PM   #66 (permalink)
blackjackel
EcoModding Apprentice

Whitey - '05 toyota corolla LE
90 day: 28.91 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to blackjackel Send a message via MSN to blackjackel Send a message via Yahoo to blackjackel
Here are some pics of my under body panel that I'm currently working on. I'm using 20 neodymium magnets to attach a sheet of chloroplast to the bottom of my engine.

This is the sheet im laying down, I'm going to cut the part of it thats behind the 5 magnets at the bottom because the exhaust starts right after those magnets and I don't want to run my chloroplast over the exhaust.

Note, the 3 magnets on the top are glued to the coroplast because they will attatch to the top part of my bottom lip of the front bumper (pics later), the 5 magnets shown below are magnetized to 5 magnets that are glued to the other side of the coroplast (they will stick to magnets glued on to the underbody of the car)

The holes in the sides are for the wheel arms to go through.

This is the top part of the bottom lip of the bumper, I will stick my magnets here where I point.

You can see the magnet glued to the bottom of the coroplast, I'll have another magnet glued to the part of the bumper i pointed at earlier.

car :: IMG_0346.jpg picture by blkjackel - Photobucket

Here you can see me gluing the 2nd magnet, a piece of paper is between the magnets to prevent them being glued to eachother. The magnet you see at the bottom is not being glued, its just magnetically drawn to the one being glued to "clamp it" while the glue sets.

These are 3 of the 5 magnet points in the back, these magnets will attatch to the magnets on the corogated plastic. I couldnt get a shot of the center one, in the shot, it was directly above me. Magnets are marked in red.

This is the center magnet (right behind the hole), you can see the exhaust behind it, this is where Im going to cut the coroplast, i think if i have it going back further it will melt.

heres a shot of the wheel arm action with the cutout for it to go through.

The coroplast didnt go through both wheel wells, you can see this here, I'll add a small piece and duct tape it to the body and original coroplast piece when im done.

angled shots of the sides, I really dont know what to do here, air is going to get in there :/

FINAL MOD LOOK! (minus the pieces i will attatch on the sides later)

heres a shot showing how big ive had to open up my front grill, in california its still too hot and i need to open it up even bigger than this soon!