View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 10:36 PM   #1220 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
For Pre-charge, I have a resistor across the a main contactor, with a battery disconnect just before it.

I leave the disconnect disconnected while not using the car.
Then I plug in that connector and the pre-charge starts. I turn the key and the main contactor closes, then I drive the car.

I paid $12 for the batteries because I knew the guy who had them, and that's how much money HE would have got for core. IE - they only would have gone in for recycling and take $12 off the price of whatever new batteries HE would have bought.

The truck springs are fine, but they were really set up for the weight of 12 batteries total, and I have pretty much ended up going with 6, so they are more than needed, but still far better than the stock springs.

The springs do squeek a little. I think it is because of how they go up into the body/frame of the car, and aren't quite as smooth/flush on the ends as the original springs.

PS: I also FINALLY found my ELECTRIC CAR CHARGING ONLY sign today. It's only been mixing about 6 or 7 months. Turns out it was at the church where we held our Earth Day Alt. Auto Show. I had been past it several times, but only saw the back of it. It blends right in with all of the other "real" signs there.

One guy said that nobody has parked in that space for months because of it!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos

Last edited by bennelson; 09-26-2009 at 10:41 PM..