View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
No that thought never occurred to me. I don't know of a single person personally that buys a new car based on the climate.
Well, you "know" me :-) And reducing CO2 emissions was right up there near the top of the list of reasons I bought my Insight - other ones being not wanting to send more money than necessary to the jihadists, wanting a small 2-seat hatchback, similarity to my previous CRX, etc.

Quote:
If your worried about the climate then one needs to factor in their electricity used, see if it's from COAL...
No, unless you're planning to e.g. install a stand-alone solar panel to charge it. Electricity is fungible, so the only reasonable factor to consider is the percentage of coal on the national grid (about 50%), and whether the full path from mine to electric drive generates less CO2 per mile than oil from well to IC engine.

Quote:
But, at least where I live we have very clean air and nobody ever talks about the climate...
Perhaps it hasn't occurred to you that not everyone in the world is exactly like you and your neighbors? Sure, lots of people won't buy a Volt for the reasons you stated. That still leaves a lot of people who might. After all, they bought Priuses, didn't they? Yet back when it was first introduced, we saw almost exactly the same arguments being made against its success.