View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 08:43 PM   #42 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Another Test Drive

I had a short day of work today, and it just happened to be about 2 miles from Tom's house, so I headed over to his place.

Tom just got a matched set of batteries for his car. The old set didn't have quite enough batteries of the same type to get to his system voltage.

The new set is all the same brand and size, but they are the "long-life" instead of "high-power" version, which is actually better for his project.

We went for a test ride.
There were a few issues that still need tweaking. Sometimes, pulling away from a stop, the motor is "clunky". The motor doesn't really quite know how fast it is going compared to how fast it should be going.

That is going to be resolved with a custom circuit board Tom will make for a speed sensor that will feed data to the AC controller.

When we stopped out at the sandwich shop, I realized that there was still no hood on the car. It was pretty funny to watch people walk by the car and do double-takes, first seeing that there was no hood, then seeing that there was no engine!

I also noticed that the AC controller does make PLENTY of noise on AM radio stations. Tom, didn't flip over to FM. I would imagine that there is a bit of noise there, but nothing seems to pick up noise the way AM does.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos

Last edited by bennelson; 09-30-2009 at 09:02 PM..