View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
vtec-e
Master EcoModder

De Yaris - '04 toyota yaris T2
90 day: 69.55 mpg (US)
I'll take some pics tomorrow when it's light outside. The flare at the front is slight and i could have gone more. I don't know how well the foamboard will take to reheating so i might just leave it as is...for now.
Those are some interesting pics of similar skirts. It's kinda funny how i came up with the same shape without any outside influence! My reasoning behind it was the wheel arch tapers in a little towards the rear of the car but the wheel doesn't, obviously! So i slid a straight edge down the wheel arch till it touched the tire at both the front and the rear. This was going to be the lowest point of the wheel skirt and it was sloped as it turns out. If i designed it with an outward bow i would have ended up with a different lower edge. I'll still put a slight bow in it for aero and rigidity purposes and also to give me a little more clearance.
I haven't jacked up the car and removed the wheel yet but i'd say i'll be ok. At the very least i might have to tilt the lower part of the wheel in under the car to clear the studs and remove the wheel. If it's too fiddly then it's back to the drawing board. Should be ok though.

ollie