View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 11:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I would probably use any forced induction system less than 1% of the time I was driving.

I would much rather it be something that did not have a belt or a blade spinning in my exhaust system all the time for that 1%.

Life expectancy would be several times the life of my engine.

Slightly larger battery and alternator, which could also drive the rest of the accessories with electricity instead of fan belts.

Electric water pumps and AC is already here, so is power steering. With an electric supercharger you need no more fan belt driven accessories.

Smart charging could use DFCO to apply maximum charging when you are using no fuel.

I think it will become a part of an improved system, not any "dead end"

regards
Mech
If you have a permanently installed parasitic forced induction system, you're using it any time you're on the throttle, my friend.

Superchargers can circumvent this by way of changing the speed at which the rotors are able to compress and hold back an air charge, but turbos begin altering the volumetric efficiency of an engine as soon as they begin spinning, basically.

Even if you're not in positive boost, a heat-driven turbine is still pushing enough air to reduce the amount of vacuum the engine is seeing, which is why when you have a turbo and you're driving for efficiency, you'd want to accelerate in such a way that the turbo would account for vacuum totally, making your intake neutral, and almost relieving pumping losses altogether.