View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 07:57 PM   #104 (permalink)
dwtaylorpdx
EcoModding Apprentice

The basic problem is that the ethanol is not the primary chemical that has the most effect on the burn rate of the fuel, the base fuel and the alcohol are very predictable, its the additive package that contains the VOC control chemicals, detergents, and some other evil stuff is why the E10 issue is all over the map.

I had the fun of sitting with a Fuel Chemist at a CART race a couple years ago while selling race gas and ethanol and methanol to the teams and he gave me a wonderful insight as to how screwed up the fuel distribution system really is. Couple things he told me, first, they change the additive package all the time because of the chemical availability and pricing. Second, some chemical packages are additive, IE they net a higher octane when mixed, some are net zero and some even cost you octane. That tank of "bad gas" you got at the station in wherever-ville? It may have been the mix in your tank fuel killing whatever was in their pump, the bad gas is a easy out for the stations cause its always the other guys fault.

Most of the blending of the gasoline happens at the distributor, the driver gets out and hooks up the hose, plugs in a number for the mix he wants and starts it pumping.
He aint a chemist or even really trained on the fuel mix. So if its a digit off whats the big deal? :0

One of the reasons I never run "plus" grade gasoline is the lack of control on it.
Most stations have a system thats supposed to be calibrated that mixes the regular and premium to get plus. And there is little to no inspection ever done to see if your really getting any premium fuel out of it.... And how would they keep up with the additive packaging?

Dave