View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 05:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
Whoops
EcoModding Apprentice

Whoop's Wheels - '89 Honda Civic Wagovan
90 day: 39.09 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apgrok1 View Post
I probably won't make this a habit, but I might try this for 50 miles or so to find if FE increases a bunch. However, I beg to differ on everyone's claim that the injectors shut off when you let off the pedal. They still inject a small amount to keep the engine running, even on deceleration. My proof? If they did shut off, the effect would be exactly the same as turning the key off in gear. Your trans would be driving the engine.
Believe what you wish. I'm basing my comment on the fact that on my 89 Honda, by monitoring the Oxygen Sensor Voltage, it is clear that the injectors completely shut off, if I am in gear, my foot is off of the pedal and my rpm is above 1200. You are correct, it is just exactly the same as having the engine off, with the key, while being in gear.

You might have a point, in an Automatic. On my wife's Chrysler, I think the injectors do inject some fuel, largely to give people the impression that the car is able to coast farther than it really is.

My primary point was that if you want to risk killing your automatic transmission, knock yourself out. It will have an effect on it, and you will have to replace it sooner, rather than later. I personally don't like replacing or rebuilding transmissions any sooner than I can possibly get away with. I shared the information I did with you, so you'd have a better idea of the risks associated with it.

Last edited by Whoops; 03-07-2008 at 05:11 PM..