View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 10:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Am I the only one who noticed that CARB (California Air Resources Board) basically brought back the MANDATE this summer?

The EV-1 and other vehicles like the RAV-4 Electric pretty much only existed because CARB passed a law saying that manufacturers had to make X percent of their vehicles Zero Emissions. Just about the only way to do that is with an electric vehicle.

This time, the mandate is for Zero-Carbon vehicles (cut down those greenhouse gasses!) but again, just about the only way to do that is with electrics!

I LOVE seeing people getting excited about electric vehicles, and I think cars like the Prius have changed car culture a bit, but I don't think there would be such a buzz over EVs right now if manufacturers weren't being "forced" to make them.

Of course, all the manufacturers are spinning it as being eco-friendly, etc, etc.

I guess all I am really saying here is that it's great to have booming interest in EVs, but we shouldn't be fooled - the main reason the big boys are making them is because they have too!

Sorry I don't have a good web link for the Zero-Carbon mandate CARB passed this summer. I am amazed what a non-news item it has been!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
The Following User Says Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
Christ (10-06-2009)