View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Here are the PHOTOS!

That's right, today, the Metro and I visited the Oscar-Meyer Wienermobile.

It's quite an interesting custom vehicle.
The first thing I wanted to ask about was the specs on it - how big? what engine? Sweet or Dill relish?

Fortunately, they had a sign with all that information on it already.

See all the photos at:
PHOTO LINK
The female "Hotdogger", Torri Toppings, informed me that the sign was wrong, and it's actually a 350HP (NOT 300) engine.

Of course I was interested in the aerodynamics. Supposedly, the Wienermobile design has gone through a few wind-tunnels.

I was also interested in the front windshield.
Notice how curved the glass is? Think they can use standard windshield wiper blades on there? Nope! They have to custom bend them to fit!
The whole "nose" of the bun, under the windshield is mostly hollow, to make the shape. The Wienermobile is actually a Cab-Over-Engine design, so the engine is back farther than you might think.

The "hotdoggers" get special training to drive the Wienermobile. They learn to drive using the outside mirrors.

There is also a backup camera in the tail of the Dog.

In the photo, it's the middle black rectangle. The higher dark rectangle is the third brake light.

On the right of the dashboard is the backup camera monitor. On the far left of the driver is the automatic transmission gear selector.

I asked if there has been any talk about a hybrid or electric Wienermobile. I was told that there has been talk of a Hybrid, and also pointed to the photo of the "Mini" Wienermobile - built on a Mini-Cooper frame.
(Bottom center of the photo sign)

My favorite historical Wienermobile is from 1940 - very much a WWII fighter plane style.

The entire vehicle is all custom, made from a Chevy frame and GM parts. (Will it still be in the future?)

Now if only the bun and hot dog separated, like the ENTERPRISE in STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION......

I would definately drive the bun. That thing is cool.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
The Following User Says Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (10-10-2009)