View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #1256 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSGC View Post
Any updates on the performance of the Open Source Controller?
No, not really.

I have played around a little bit, running the car at 96 volts. It seems a bit peppier, but I didn't do any long runs on 96V to see if range improved.

The main thing holding me back right now is that my charger is set to 72V. It is adjustable to up to 108V, but it requires some odd resistor that you pop in to change the voltage output.

Usually, I go straight to Tom (EV Dodge Neon dude) for all my weird electronic needs, but he is out of town right now!

Also, I am using the best 6 of the batteries that I have. If I add more batteries in series, each one is likely to be worse than the last, so I do have some issues with diminishing returns there.

In other issues, the controller does output some RF noise that I pick up in the FM band, and it came from Paul set in the "wienie-mode". So I can no longer burn rubber, like I could with the Curtis controller.

I think once Tom gets back in town, we will have to trick out the controller and charger!

PS: ER - looks like Paul was typing that last post while I typed this one! Yeah, the upgrade and the RS232 would be super-cool!
Say Hi to Sabrina! She is a super-nice lady!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos

Last edited by bennelson; 10-09-2009 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: posting at the same time as Paul