View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 11:46 PM   #43 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
So who's getting screwed? Not me: I've more than saved the cost of the K&N filter on the Insight from not having to replace the OEM paper ones (which I can only find through the dealer :-(), plus instead of throwing a bunch of plastic and stuff into a landfill every 10K miles or so, I use a miniscule amount - maybe a teaspoon or so - of oil & detergent.

Now if it did increase fuel economy, that'd be a plus, but I haven't seen anything like an honest test (other than that link from Darrin, which I think was too short for accuracy), just people spouting off their opinions. So where's the real-world test? Put one in a vehicle, drive a couple of thousand miles, or at least a tank or two, and see if mpg improves.
Have you been flow testing your old filters? How can you be sure that they actually needed to be changed? Sure it would only take 2 filter changes to make up the cost of the K&N filter (recharge kits are more, but you probably don't use very many of them.)

Also - If you can only find your filters at the dealer, you're not looking hard enough.

Honda Insight Air Filter