View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #135 (permalink)
Jammer
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
The problem there is that they obviously don't. Leaving politics out and sticking strictly to cars, have you priced SUVs or big pickups, especially once you start adding options? They're right up there in Volt territory, sometimes - Hummer, Escalade, &c - well beyond. Are the people who buy these buying with their wallets? Or with something on the other side of their trousers?
The word "obviously" in the context you used it in is NOT obvious to me. I disagree with your logic. I also know of only a few people that buy very many options on a car because they are so expensive. On my car I got a spare tire/jack and an ashtray (which I did not need, it was already ordered with it). I have crank windows, no power door locks, bought my rubber mats from an auto store, and saved a few thousand $$ by doing so. I get out and around, I do drive out of this state sometimes, and I sure do not see many Hummers parked in the employee parking lot of any business. Maybe you live near more rich people than I do, because
I just do not see such expensive cars and tucks on the roads in very many numbers, in fact one of the most common things on 4 wheels I see is The Chevy Cobalt, yet to hear Chevy tell the story those car sales are down too- ' sure can not tell it but looking at the roads! Also Chevy is on record for NOT selling nearly as many Escalades as they had first hoped, by their count the truck was not the smashing success they had hoped for (although I know a guy who differs because he owns one)It is by far NOT obvious and I feel even stronger about this analogy today. We should likely agree to disagree. Those SUVs are often sold to drivers as their 2nd vehicle, not everyone drives a hummer to their workplace, just like my 1985 Pontiac Fiero, some cars/trucks were bought or meant as a 2nd vehicle, not their primary one. The Volt is already being marketed as a PRIMARY USE VEHICLE, and their comes the COST OF FUEL being drawn directly into the purchase for MOST drivers. However, my father makes a good point for you because he has a Cadillac and an Escalade. He is up in years and he feels his Cadillac is his primary car because it gets the best MPG. By buying these cars and trucks he IS living within his means, but I feel he is the exception, most families can not afford a $40,000 car when many have less invested in their home.

Quote:
Just like there weren't enough to mean squat in Prius sales, eh?
Your comparing apples to oranges here. The first 2 years that car did not turn a profit, or so it is said. Next if you compare the PRICE of a stripped down Prius with what is only the RUMOR of The Volt's 40K price (it could be higher, especially with options!) AND the Prius was for sale in 2008 when $4.20 gas was a reality for many, well lets just say the apples go in the red box and the oranges go in the yellow box, please do not confuse them.

Quote:
You need to remember, though, that East Kentucky is not the US.
Without a smiley face I take offense to that remark. I figure where YOU live is not the US. None of us have enough eyes to see all the streets at one time, it's normal to base it on what we see, no what were told.

Safe to say we disagree on every point. 'Nothing personal.

Support American
Workers!

Last edited by Jammer; 10-12-2009 at 05:50 PM..