View Single Post
Old 03-08-2008, 05:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
LostCause
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
A good primer for composite construction is Rutan's "Moldless Composite Sandwich Contruction." ~$15

Online vendors like Aircraft Spruce even sell kits aimed at first time aircraft builders on learning composite construction. The $80 price tag is definately high, but if a lot of parts are going to be built then the mistakes that are saved may be worth it...

If you guys build with heavy duty S-Glass or seek aerodynamic perfection, then learning how to make lightweight, smooth finishes might be valuable. This is the best site I have come across.

There are other, easier ways to learn the art and make composite pieces, but these are the best in my opinion. To stay on topic, I'd use 1/8" foam that can be heat-molded into shape, then sandwich that with some lightweight E-glass. As far as resin is concerned, Epoxy is the only thing to consider. Polyester resin is porous and lower grade...which may be fine for a short-term fairing. I suppose it's a question of buying the long-term investment or going cheap now.

- LostCause