View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 06:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
jkp1187
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I made a thread once upon a time re: hypermiling wastes gas?!? Because if you look at the macro of the thing, one hypermiler can "cause" hundreds of lead-footed SUV-drivin' eh holes to slam on the brakes then goose it getting around you. Of course the gas consumed is much greater than if they wouldn't have done that i.e. if the hypermiler would have been going with the flow too.

Not saying don't hypermile, not at all. Just sayin', that's what I think the macro view of this thing is.
That is a very fair point. I don't think that scenario holds all of the time, or even necessarily the majority of times, but it is still a possibility to be considered if your goal is to reduce fuel consumption generally (instead of just your particular use of it.)

Can't save everything, I suppose, but still it's one reason why it's a particular pet peeve of mine to see people get self-righteous about their preferred method of driving (regardless of whether they have a lead foot or if they hypermile.) Driving and traffic are such complex things, there's always some new factor to be considered, something new to be learned. There are often unintended consequences to consider.

As an aside, has anyone read Tom Vanderbilt's book, Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do? It's a pretty good read on the subject - just came out in paperback recently.