View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 07:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
newhavenpatriot
Ecodriver

Auto. 2007 Yaris - '07 Toyota Yaris
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.31 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I made a thread once upon a time re: hypermiling wastes gas?!? Because if you look at the macro of the thing, one hypermiler can "cause" hundreds of lead-footed SUV-drivin' eh holes to slam on the brakes then goose it getting around you. Of course the gas consumed is much greater than if they wouldn't have done that i.e. if the hypermiler would have been going with the flow too.

Not saying don't hypermile, not at all. Just sayin', that's what I think the macro view of this thing is.
I have to disagree if we're talking about a four-lane highway. Driving the speed limit reduces the average speed of all the traffic around you. How? Well, I'm glad you asked. A driver merging into the passing lane to get around you causes everyone else in the passing lane to slow down, since there's no third lane, and eventually this brings it down to a safer, less frenetic pace. Sure, they can just accelerate once they get past your car, but if you're driving the speed limit of 55, the people behind you and to the left aren't going 70 anymore, maybe they're only going 60-65 now. And the people behind you are going 55 and then changing lanes. If you continue to "go with the flow" and drive 70, everyone in both lanes will go that speed or higher for that same distance. Does that make sense at all? I can see how your thinking holds true on roads with two passing lanes, but with only one, I don't see how tons of people going 70 vs. 55, 60, or 65 can generate a net savings of fuel.

"Know your rights..... all three of 'em!"