View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 01:28 AM   #24 (permalink)
orange4boy
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
If you read the text of the WHO EMF project, they are concentrating on the large and powerful sources of EMF, not EMF from small electric motors shielded by steel or household appliances. They are also researching long term effects of low frequency EMF on health mainly to deal with "public concerns" although there is no evidence yet that supports these "concerns"

The benefits of electricity vastly outweigh the dangers.

Quote:
Originally posted by Malus: Actually, I'm almost electric free. I leave breakers off on areas I don't use, gotten rid of cellphone, use a plug in (with cord) phone. I also barbeque all year round (using the stove as minimal as possible), no microwave, no hairdryer. The list goes on to eliminate what I perceive (since there is no definitive conclusion...
From the WHO website Malus helpfully supplied:

Quote:
Conclusions from scientific research
In the area of biological effects and medical applications of non-ionizing radiation approximately 25,000 articles have been published over the past 30 years. Despite the feeling of some people that more research needs to be done, scientific knowledge in this area is now more extensive than for most chemicals. Based on a recent in-depth review of the scientific literature, the WHO concluded that current evidence does not confirm the existence of any health consequences from exposure to low level electromagnetic fields. However, some gaps in knowledge about biological effects exist and need further research. A wide range of environmental influences causes biological effects. 'Biological effect' does not equal 'health hazard'. Special research is needed to identify and measure health hazards.
How much more conclusive does it need to be?

Hybrids are just as safe as ice vehicles in terms of EMF and are safer by far if emissions are your concern.

Last edited by orange4boy; 10-14-2009 at 01:45 AM.. Reason: spelling, added quote for context