Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2009, 12:03 AM   #21 (permalink)
Concerned human

I don't know, when reputable sources are still trying to figure out the effects of EMF as well as try to set some sort of guidelines for exposure........

Hybrid Risk for Electromagnetic Fields Is Still Uncertain | Hybrid Cars

WHO | What is the International EMF Project?

WHO | Framework for developing health-based EMF standards

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-14-2009, 12:18 AM   #22 (permalink)
JJW
EcoModding Lurker

The Crimson Jellybean - '08 Toyota Yaris
90 day: 41.8 mpg (US)

White's Elephant (in Black) - '02 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
What I said doesn't contradict what the WHO is saying. We do need to research more closely the effects of *large* EMF fields, day in and day out, on the human body.. mostly to be prudent. Yes, higher frequency RF fields can impart more energy than lower ones, and the jury is still out on what mobile phones *in close proximity* do to things like brain tissue, since we know 2.4Ghz is particularly effective at heating water molecules. But, they are talking about significant sources of EMF. MRI machines, Power transmission lines and substations, radio transmitters, etc.

Those are *huge* orders of magnitude bigger than anything in a Prius.

We're all sitting in .3-.6 Gauss from the Earth's magnetic field anyway for our entire lives (unless you are an astronaut), and our ancestors have been since life began here.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:18 AM   #23 (permalink)
Concerned human

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from buying an electric hybrid. But, EMF's are a serious issue, not to be embraced so casually, especially if they are becoming more prevalent everyday and it's exposure compounding. Serious enough to be an issue with the WHO. Imagine if you will (you know, outside the box), if EMF's were deemed a serious health issue. Society would have to be rebuilt. People would be livid. Nope, better to say that "more conclusive research has to be done" and let it drift afloat for a time. For now, I'll look into bio-diesel or hydrogen, as it develops.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:28 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
If you read the text of the WHO EMF project, they are concentrating on the large and powerful sources of EMF, not EMF from small electric motors shielded by steel or household appliances. They are also researching long term effects of low frequency EMF on health mainly to deal with "public concerns" although there is no evidence yet that supports these "concerns"

The benefits of electricity vastly outweigh the dangers.

Quote:
Originally posted by Malus: Actually, I'm almost electric free. I leave breakers off on areas I don't use, gotten rid of cellphone, use a plug in (with cord) phone. I also barbeque all year round (using the stove as minimal as possible), no microwave, no hairdryer. The list goes on to eliminate what I perceive (since there is no definitive conclusion...
From the WHO website Malus helpfully supplied:

Quote:
Conclusions from scientific research
In the area of biological effects and medical applications of non-ionizing radiation approximately 25,000 articles have been published over the past 30 years. Despite the feeling of some people that more research needs to be done, scientific knowledge in this area is now more extensive than for most chemicals. Based on a recent in-depth review of the scientific literature, the WHO concluded that current evidence does not confirm the existence of any health consequences from exposure to low level electromagnetic fields. However, some gaps in knowledge about biological effects exist and need further research. A wide range of environmental influences causes biological effects. 'Biological effect' does not equal 'health hazard'. Special research is needed to identify and measure health hazards.
How much more conclusive does it need to be?

Hybrids are just as safe as ice vehicles in terms of EMF and are safer by far if emissions are your concern.

Last edited by orange4boy; 10-14-2009 at 01:45 AM.. Reason: spelling, added quote for context
Old 10-14-2009, 01:54 AM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Conclusions from scientific research
In the area of biological effects and medical applications of non-ionizing radiation approximately 25,000 articles have been published over the past 30 years. Despite the feeling of some people that more research needs to be done, scientific knowledge in this area is now more extensive than for most chemicals. Based on a recent in-depth review of the scientific literature, the WHO concluded that current evidence does not confirm the existence of any health consequences from exposure to low level electromagnetic fields. However, some gaps in knowledge about biological effects exist and need further research. A wide range of environmental influences causes biological effects. 'Biological effect' does not equal 'health hazard'. Special research is needed to identify and measure health hazards.
Fixed.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:43 AM   #26 (permalink)
Modified Driver

Frozen Tundra - '03 Toyota Tundra 4WD SR5 Access Cab
90 day: 26.51 mpg (US)

Red Skateboard - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 45.49 mpg (US)
Every now and then someone comes along who very very very obviously knows what he is talking about. I would say that JJW has demonstrated that he has a pretty solid working knowledge of EMF, to the extent that he is up to date on what the scientific community has to say about it. He has supplied numerical data that clearly demonstrates that levels of EMF inside of a hybrid are less dangerous than other sources people regularly get exposed to outside the car. Given that EMF sources have been around since electricity has been invented, and that the life span of the average human being has increased dramatically since then, I'd say we are pretty safe from ill effects of the mild EMFs out there.

On the list of things that freak the crap out of me, I'm more worried about diesel fumes, smog, inhaling scented oils from air fresheners, solar radiation, carcinogens in plastics being transferred to my foods, second hand smoke (cigarette and otherwise), lead poisoning holes in the ozone layer, global pollution, arsenic in the water supply (it occurs naturally), carbon monoxide and all the other things that are going to cause me to die of cancer or otherwise. Oh and I'm still at the bottom of the list. Let's face it, out of the potential causes of death and illness, why not focus on just avoiding the big ones instead of becoming paranoid of things that haven't been proven to do any harm? If you really go out of your way to avoid the truly harmful things along with the ones you don't understand/are unproven/exist in science fiction medical journals/are proclaimed harmful by religious groups like the Scientologists/are just too progressive for your stone-aged imagination, you'll end up living in the woods, wearing a tin foil hat and dying of cancer anyway. Or, if you like hybrids, go get one and drive it. You'll be fine, trust me.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:00 AM   #27 (permalink)
Modified Driver

Frozen Tundra - '03 Toyota Tundra 4WD SR5 Access Cab
90 day: 26.51 mpg (US)

Red Skateboard - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 45.49 mpg (US)
Just to end this argument before it arises, No I'm not a champion for hybrids. I think they fuel they save doesn't justify the price you have to pay for them when you can get similar mileage out of a well driven Civic. So my assertions are not made out of bias.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:07 AM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Exploder - '02 Ford Explorer xlt

Rolla - '02 Toyota Corolla ce
Team Toyota
90 day: 44.43 mpg (US)
Malus,
The fact that the WHO has decided to research EMF effects is not evidence for their being harmful. After the studies done back in the 1990s, most of the research being done today is more of an ongoing battle against junk science than anything else.
Natural sources of EMF and EM radiation are, on the whole, much more powerful and potentially hazardous (see reference).
I'll quote something I wrote in the other thread, "Being afraid of EMF in the quantities generated by an Insight is, statistically speaking, probably like worrying about a camel in Saudi Arabia, munching on grass near an airport runway, which happens to be contaminated with uranium dust produced by a mine 1,000 miles away, accidentally gets hooked on the landing gear of a 747, travels to your home town, walks to your house, spits in your eye and gives you cancer."

Last edited by chuckm; 10-14-2009 at 07:15 AM..
Old 10-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
Malus - every post you make takes precious time off your life using that EMF-cesspool of a computer you're using... you'd better hurry up and make a valid point before you keel over, or find a brave soul willing to dictate so you can stand at a safe distance. If I were you I'd post in a place where you could at least make an impact on people and have a legacy...maybe someplace where people think its worth being as cautious as you are. This is a forum full of people who drive cars - far more statistically likely to cause bodily harm or death than everyday EMF exposure.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:15 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Quote:
WHO: Despite extensive research, to date there is no evidence to conclude that exposure to low level electromagnetic fields is harmful to human health.
Are we done here?

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Reply  Post New Thread