View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 07:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
orange4boy
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
I have a super cheap way and it works great. You get one or two of those reflective blankets from outdoor suppliers. The silver thermal ones. They are large enough to cover almost half of the upper part of a small car. Last time I bought one it was $1.45. Then you use a bunch of rare earth magnets (about $15 for a bunch) to attach it to the outside of the car. This is most effective because it stops the glass and body getting hot. If you are really ambitious you could cover the whole car. It also protects the paint from the sun.

Get the the tall magnets so they are easy to remove. You could also use strips of that magnetic sign material. The only downside is you have to be careful of leaving no gaps on windy days as it can balloon out. You could do the same thing with thermal bubble wrap too but it's more expensive. It will last longer though.

It makes a huge difference in interior temperature. Way more than the interior shields and because it's so cheap you don't have to worry about theft.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.