View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #153 (permalink)
vpoppv
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Whoa, whoa, WHOA!

Minor correction here:

The synchronizers are still in use!

What you're actually seeing here is that they have alot less mass to accelerate/decelerate.

Weigh the entire rotating assembly, including the clutch/flywheel/pressure plate of the engine (which also produces an opposing force, mind you), versus the armature inside the e-motor. Oh yeah, the synchros can accelerate that little bit of mass with nearly no frictional losses and almost no lever distance very easily.

Basically, try to spin the OEM motor over with your thumb and forefinger on the crank snout. Now do it with an E-motor. Now, you see why you "don't need those synchronizers", right?
So, what you're saying is that they can now be used in an electric because they have an easier task with the electric motor? So then, although they no longer worked in the car with an ICE engine, I am able to now use them again? I just figured that either they worked or they didn't, I didn't think there could be an in-between. Although, I guess it really isn't an in-between: they now work again. Hmmmmm. I'll need to sleep on that one, I don't get it yet.