View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 12:39 AM   #157 (permalink)
vpoppv
The $500 Electric Car

[QUOTE=Christ;134620]Did you adjust/inspect/generally play with the clutch or mechanism?

If not, I stand by my previous statement. The reason it wouldn't go into gear is because the synchronizers were working with the ICE. They're a buffer to prevent grinding, and they won't allow gear changes with severely unmatched speeds.QUOTE]

The clutch mechanism is untouched. I'm like Sgt. Schultz
"I know nuTING". I'm just regurgitating what I read about in the Geo Metro forums I lurk in. They all say the same thing: Geos have weak synchros, and when they wear out, you can't get it in gear. 4 out of 5 of my Geos has this problem, in varying degrees. This one was by far the worst. And one thing that would make me think that they do, in fact, wear out to the point that they exhibit this behavior is that several members have rebuilt their transmissions and the problem went away. And also, the synchronizers show some serious wear. Here's a good link (warning! not for the bandwidth challenged!)

Fixing a Tranny Leak W/Pics - Automotive Forums .com Car Chat

Now, I'm not saying you're wrong, because, again, I really don't know my butt from my elbow, it's just that these other guys seems to know their Geos and I tend to think they have some insight I might lack. The bottom line is, I don't really care WHAT's going on in my transmission, I just like that I can shift again!!!