View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
drbobwoolery
EcoModding Lurker

49state 4door - '91 Geo Metro 4 door
90 day: 59.31 mpg (US)

old blue - '91 Geo Metro base CA
Johnny, I have wondered about those stainless valves. Not the price, which is fine, but knowing that SS is famous for warping. I guess 3tech has that fixed. Has anybody tried grinding down the heads of sodium filled VW valves for these?

If I had not gotten the 49 stater, I would have thought that Old Blue was running perfectly. Now I know that the leaking injector O-ring (please!) or injector, plus the quart every thousand oil loss is filling the EGR with carbon; exhaust valves on their way out. I was kidding myself that I might Seafoam it to health. I will do it before I tear it down, hoping that the insides will be cleaner.

I also wonder about the oil pump. Do these get a "while you are here" renewal like the water pump? I believe the engine may be north of 200,000, and the pan gasket is messy, so I will mike everything before ordering pistons (probably), pumps, valves, and gaskets. I figure to pick the engine/trans out together, as stabbing the jackshaft has been a 3 day cursefest the two times I have done it in the car. For now, I'll clean out the EGR, headlight relays, and grounds.
I figure on 3tech headbolts and valves, with most or all of the rest from Parts dinosaur.
I'm doing headlight relay and electric system grounds upgrades on this one, then on the frontline car, so something always runs. I hate walking for parts!