View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #21 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by stou0220 View Post
Well maybe we can figure out a way to get them up north. These are supposed to be unused batteries, but I am certain this is inaccurate. So much for getting what you were sold these days.
Actually I would be more hopefull if they were used, these batteries do not SIT well, under use they seem to live long lives so long as they aren't overdischarged or underdischarged and overcharged. After they sit you have to discharge them under a watchfull eye to a specific voltage and then recharged dozens of cycles to possibly bring them back.

Quote:
So there is a dealer in Ohio that sells the transmission parts for this car? I heard the 2005-2006 models have the gearing in them while the 2007 and later had them stripped out except the one gear. If this option would provide better hill climbing with costing a fortune then I am definitely interested.
He has been selling junk transmissions from the offroad cousing Miles OR70 to get better gearing. Sadly I think he has run out which will mean mega price jump to order from china new. The trouble is only older OR70's had all the gears (but still no linkages), many still only have 2 of the gears which is still better than one gear like the zx40. And if you think you can find an older zx40 that has multiple gears forget about it, only maybe 5 including prototypes had 2 gears instead of one, likely the folks that have them won't give em up easily and I would estimate a few are sitting at Miles Corporate more or less permanently.

Quote:
Maybe this is the start of another thread, but the thought had crossed my mind to just replace the motor and controller with something more powerful, something like the D&D ES-31B. Have any ZX40 owners done this that you all have heard of?
There is a motor D&D custom made to fit certain miles vehicles (aka has the really really strange shaft), I am uncertain if it is much better or not.

One issue is that there are 4 motors, the small 48v motor found on old ZX40's like my 05, the small 48v/72v motor found in some "Transitional" zx40s, the big 48v/72v motor found in the newer ZX40's and the older OR70 and the AC drive motor.

Being you have an 07 you probably already have the big motor anyway. Give me the serial and tag model info on your motor to humor me, I will see if its the same or different than my antique.

I somehow believe that my tinker toy 5hp motor is likely not easily upgradable and likely folks with the bigger motor already have one that is as big as will fit making the D&D moderately moot.

Only way to know would be to contact D&D and see what they think.