View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 07:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Doofus McFancypants
Eco Noob

Red Rover - '01 Nissan Altima GXE
90 day: 30.07 mpg (US)
With respect to Clean Coal. anything that burns can be cleaned up with treatment - the question becomes does the cost of the fuel + the cost of the cleanup result in a higher cost then alternatives?

A coal plant runs all the time. The wind blows somewhere all the time as well. the question, at least in my mind, is not the method of generation ( i am one of the "All the above" sources people *) I think the REAL bang for the buck is in the distribution.

If we can cut the distribution losses by 1/3 - there is a HUGE ammount of power we get for FREE**. Of course to actively make this link of change, as a country we need a clear Energy Policy and direction of where we are going.

Now the argument AGAINST clean coal, at least to me, seems to be "You can't make it clean". With $$ anything can happen... But if someone wanted to make the same claim on a different technology - could one also not say Diesel cars? "No way - you can't make them Clean!"

Clean up what we can - expand into other areas - think outside the box for the next breakthrough. bring them ALL on

Steve

* this even includes getting the chubby little kids on treadmills connected to generators so they can watch SpongeBob and work off some weight
**once the cost of the new infrastructure is covered

First Milestone passed - 30 MPG (city) 5/15/08
Best City Tank - 8/31/09- 34.3 MPG (EPA= 20)
Best Highway Tank - 5/20/09 - 36.5 MPG (EPA= 28)
------
In effort to drive less:
Miles NOT driven in 2009 = 648 (Work from home and Alt Transporatation)