View Single Post
Old 03-10-2008, 12:52 AM   #44 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Props to Props

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
This is interesting. Claiming better FE then a Prius. 97.5g of CO2 per passenger km.
This is a VERY interesting concept.

I have to stress something that many potential fliers fear: The Propeller!

I give props to the props. I fly on propeller planes, on the average of once a month (over the last 7-8 years), and I'm still here -- it's safe!. They're more efficient than jets, slightly slower (maybe 5-10 minutes per hour of flight) -- but that's what they were meant to do: Regional Service.

Saab 340 Twin Turbo-Prop

My least favorite plane is the "Regional Jet". 50 Passengers crammed into a 2X2 seating arrangement, and even on flights in excess of 2 hours. Painfully uncomfortable -- and forget about getting any work done (plus larger airliner pilots are short-changed). The single row on each side makes every seat a window and aisle. Everybody wins.

My questions for the "ecoJet" design:
  1. How does the gearbox reduce the prop noise? Propellers are generally "Featherable" meaning they twist to produce zero forward thrust (or a reversing/resistance action), or angled to produce forward pull (controllable). They make noise in the variety of settings.
  2. Wings swept forward = less stability. I wonder if complex computer-controls and systems (similar to the F-16 SFW) will be required to maintain stability.

I can't recall seeing a twin turbo-prop, fuselage-mounted engine layout with a low-wing setup. Cool!

Review: Props are efficient, safe, and hopefully making a comeback.

Great link, Laz!

RH77

_
_