View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 03:12 AM   #262 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
...which begs the question, why transport around an ICE and generator when you don't need it?
Somewhere, in some Volt discussion, a GM engineer or rep of some sort mentioned EV "range anxiety".

That's the about the only way a series hybrid makes sense to me too- to have an answer to range anxiety.

I've been conflicted about Volt in many ways: price, fe claims, violating the K.I.S.S. principle, and the whole series hybrid thing. I have to try to remember that there is no one-size-fits-all solution, and different motorists have different conditions and needs. Volt is so far off from meeting my needs and desires I can hardly develop any personal interest in it. What I have to work at is imagining where it is an optimal solution. I guess that would be: if one is rich, needs to be an "early adopter" of "new tech" or make a statement of some sort with their car purchases, has a sub-40 mile daily routine AND ONLY RARELY ventures out further than that, so as to be able to almost always rely on the plug-in power; and they'd also not have access to a dedicated long-range vehicle.

Who is that???

Whew. I'd much rather have an EV-1.

Or... I know it doesn't have that idiot-proof convenience factor of dragging the genset all over creation with the vehicle at all times, but when I think about it, I rarely am away from home and all of a sudden OOPS, need to run a surprise long distance trip. I'd like my... let's say, 40 mile range EV to not be burdened by 1) the weight and inefficiency of a series genset for all that local running around and 2) the inefficiency of the series system... but if I wanted this one vehicle to "do it all" then perhaps there could be a "plug-n-play" parallel ICE unit that sits in the garage, waiting for that long trip. It would have to be on wheels or a dolly and, say, the business end of the vehicle opens up and you wheel that ICE power unit in there, it has a simplified interface with the vehicle so with the snap of a multi-pin connector it's all ready to plug-n-play, then I can go see the world.

...?

... an EV pusher trailer, only integrated so it isn't a trailer.

Or maybe then in long range mode, the vehicle doesn't really make use of the batteries, so why am I hauling those heavy things along? Do the plug-n-play modes (local <40miles and long distance >40 miles) also need to include batt pack removal/install?

Dang. It's looking like a dedicated local EV and a separate long distance ICE vehicle would be the best.

These guys have first-hand experience:

http://www.evconvert.com/article/ev-pusher

http://www.mrsharkey.com/pusher.htm

http://www.jstraubel.com/EVpusher/EVpusher2.htm

Engineering. It's all about compromise.

Last edited by Frank Lee; 10-22-2009 at 04:54 AM..