View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 03:47 PM   This thread is in the EcoModder Project Library | #1 (permalink)
orange4boy
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Orange4boy's Rescue and Revival of a 2003 Prius

The Honey and I have been keeping our eyes open for a cheap, fun fuel efficient second car to use instead of the Golden Egg for Bowen Island commuting and long highway trips. We looked at the classic Insight, CRX, Metro, Civic etc. but hadn't been able to find something affordable or suitable.

So We were browsing Craigslist the other day and saw a Prius for $2500. The only major problem was it was throwing a dreaded P3120 HV Transaxle failure code. We did a bunch of research and found a couple of people who had done the swap themselves so we decided to buy it.

The listing had started higher and dropped to $1500 by the time we got to see it. It's an ex Co-operative auto network car so we feel like we rescued it from it's servitude.

Now we have to get it home. Luckily one of the benefits of membership in VEVA, The Vancouver Electric Vehicle Association, is use of the VEVA car trailer. So along with Dave, the member who sold me Robotrak, the Remote controlled Elec Trak, we will pick her up later this week.

Then the "fun" starts.

Thanks to bwilson4web for your help!

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Last edited by orange4boy; 10-22-2009 at 03:54 PM..