View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 11:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
doviatt
Master EcoModder

Grey Goose (Retired) - '89 Geo Metro LSI 4 door hatch back
Last 3: 57.16 mpg (US)

Tweety - '91 Geo Metro Convertible -2 Door convertible LSI
Team Metro
90 day: 43.97 mpg (US)

Shadow - '02 Honda Shadow VT1100
90 day: 43.46 mpg (US)

Sonic - '07 Honda CBR1000RR
90 day: 42.69 mpg (US)

Filmore - '84 Volkswagen Vanagon
90 day: 20.9 mpg (US)
This is a new battery (2 weeks old). My previous one was also purchased new just 9 months ago.

Recent work? No. The car was a basket case when I got it. Hadn't been maintained. Needed everything. After replacing everything (batt, alt, muffler, brakes, heater core, timing belt, tires, filters, oil, coolant) it has been great for the last 9 months. When I got it, it had a mondo sized truck battery in it. Probably to mask this problem. But, with new battery and alternator within 1 week of buying the car everything seemed fine.

Odd but possibly related issue is I noticed (when I got it) main fuse 60A was missing and a heavy gauge stranded wire was stuffed down in its place. I also replaced that after I got it with a proper fuse. This is probably the one between the alt and batt. No issues though. Another was a rear stereo speaker terminal shorting out which I fixed. Another is rear defroster doesn't work and spade connectors on rear window look over heated. No fuses have blown though. This list makes it sound like an electrical Frankenstein monster. Odd that problems have been dormant for so long lately.

I am going to have the battery and the alternator tested. I have a feeling they will try to tell me they are both bad rather than try to help me find out what is wrong. I never believed them when they told me my last alternator tested bad. After all it was putting out volts...doing it's job. Exact same symptoms as current issue.

I think your statement of missing parts, bad connection is prime candidate for continued investigation. I'll follow the connection between alt and batt and see if anything turns up. If is is in fact just a straight connection I'll put in a new heavy gauge wire.

Thanks Johnny Mullet!
I can't complain about the MPG though. Hey, join us on Team Metro (teams competition). We could use you.

I'll update if anything else odd or interesting turns up during my investigation.

Thank you all for your help. I'm learning a lot and I'm always open to more suggestions. If anyone thinks of something new to try...post away.

Last edited by doviatt; 10-22-2009 at 11:51 PM.. Reason: add fuse rating