View Single Post
Old 03-10-2008, 11:57 AM   #206 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
how much for the Engine?

Can anyone tell me what they think the engine from this car is worth?

It did seem to be in fine running condition, and it made left-hand turns in first gear very well.

Of course I am trying to recoup as much money as I can on this.

I also have the starter and alternator which I could sell seperately or together with the engine.

Any thoughts!?

I am also a little confused about which "generation" of Metro this is.
The manufacture date on the door frame says May 1996, and the title says it's a 1996 Model Year.

When looking in my repair manual, the engine looks like the one listed in the "1994 and earlier" photo, NOT the one in the "1995 and later" photo.

There are a couple of pix on Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geo_Metro

My headlights look like the ones in the 1st gen pic and bumper looks like the one in the 2nd gen pic. (except it's black)

Looking closer at the photos of the two generations in my repair manual; there are a few non-engine differences. The 1st gen battery is parallel to the side of the car, and the 2nd gen is on an angle, and the coolant resevoir is in a little different location.

My battery bracket and coolant resevoir match the 2nd gen photo.

Also, on the title, it lists "Additional Vehicle Detail: Titled in WI as: Rebuilt Salvage.

Does this mean that I have a 2nd gen car that had the engine pulled out and a 1st gen engine put in it? I still have no idea why a gen 2 car would have gen 1 headlights. There is NO sign of any front end damage on this car.

The engine wiring harness all looked original - not modified for engine changes. Does anyone know if engines are often interchangeable between car generations?

Wikipedia lists the Suzuki 1.0L and 1.3L engines for both generations. I would imagine the engines would be the same and they just changed the air filter and a few other components external to the engine.

Part of why I am asking all this is I found a guy looking for a 3 cylinder for his '98 Metro. I am not sure how much money to ask from him, and if the engines would be 100% interchangeable.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos

Last edited by bennelson; 03-10-2008 at 12:37 PM..