View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 03:23 PM   #30 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by stou0220 View Post
Ryan,

I will PM the pics. I'm sure he won't mind, but let me ask him if it is OK to forward his information to you, just as a courtesy as he has been very generous in sharing his experience.

We took my best spare battery, charged it up, and made his car 84-volt. I have heard of others doing this, but I don't know if anyone has done it with field weakening. The car gained 3-5 mph. The road we speed test on is a slight hill, about 3/4 mile long. We got the car about 46 MPH going down, and more impressively it accelerated to 37 MPH going up the hill.
My main concern is that the controller in there is only 72v, going past that usually causes the magic smoke, especially after a fresh charge, AKA bad idea batman.

Field weakening isn't a big deal, you just need to know what the motor is rated at and how much juice you are pressing through if you are running near the ragged edge and then do field weakening things break. Your motor is likely much larger than mine (erm 5hp tinker toy) so it likely will survive where mine won't

Thank You
Ryan