View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 12:50 AM   #19 (permalink)
LostCause
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
There are two possible ways I could think up of right off the bat.

Keep the wire for rigidity. If you use ABS plastic or something similar, you could notch the top edges of the fairing to create a ton of little flaps that can be folded over to create a lip perpendicular to the fairing face. Stick velcro to those flaps and the inner lip of the fender well. When you close the fairing, just stick your hand up in the well and push the velcro together. This is essentially what MetroMPG did. He ran into problems with the velcro eventually separating, so a better attachment might be needed.

The other idea is the reverse, if you use a rigid fairing like fiberglass, coroplast, aluminum, etc. Get a piece of thin aluminum angle and cut notches along one side so you can create a curve. Since you probably don't want 100 holes in your fender well, figure out a tightenable, secure clamp that can hold the angle to the lip. Stick velcro long the edge facing the fairing and on the fairing inside edge. When you close the fairing, the velcro will seat automatically.

I think it is important to make an air tight seal. If you don't use velcro, a gasket made out of a bicycle inner tube might be substituted. Leaving any type of hole will probably be detrimental. In any case, the fairing will still be better than nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
One of the things I hated most about skirts was it seemed inevitable that the dang valve stem was covered up when I parked.
Definately an inconvenience, but easily solved by by putting the car into neutral and rolling it a bit. I suppose filling tires with air will become a major PIA, but not a showstopper. I do like the valve stem idea, though. It could potentially replace balance weights with something functional.

- LostCause

Last edited by LostCause; 03-11-2008 at 12:56 AM..