View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 09:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Hi Corcis -

Welcome to the site! Yes, more than a couple of cheap-o EV's hiding around here for inspiration & information.

We had a lot of fun making the ForkenSwift ... heck, it's still not really finished.

But I have to say that I often find myself thinking: "I don't really need this car!" And it's true! The vast majority of my local trips are by bicycle. And when Ivan has custody of the car, he uses it even less than I do.

The second nickname I have for it is "Electric Umbrella." It's basically a great alternative to the bike when the weather is crappy. Or for the rare occasions when I have to carry something bulky that won't fit easily on my bike's DIY cargo trailer. Or if I'm just feeling lazy.

Once the novelty starts to wear off, you might find yourself wondering if the expense of keeping a "short haul" electric car - energy, repairs, insurance, registration, etc. - are worth it.

Don't mean to discourage you if you're hankering for an interesting mechanical project - just something to keep in mind. Sounds like you're doing OK without a car!

Keep us posted.

Darin
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget