View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 10:00 PM   #25 (permalink)
vpoppv
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
pvoppy: Do you have to pay registration and insurance in OK? How can you afford to have so many cars on the road? What is your secret?

It has already cost more for 2 years of basic insurance and registration than it cost (net) to make the ForkenSwift. Thinking about it kind of makes me woozy.

In my ideal world, there would be something like transferrable insurance (since I CAN ONLY DRIVE ONE CAR AT A TIME). Then I'd probably have about eleven cars too.
You have to have insurance to register. Insurance for my wife and I is about $40/month. Registration is $24.50/car. Here's how it has worked: I buy a car. I transfer insurance to it. I fix it up to where I feel comfortable driving it. I register it. Tags come up on another car, I transfer insurance, register it, and drive it. I have a garage I can store two cars in, which helps. I haven't insured or registered the Toyota in a while, since the engine blew. One Geo is strictly a parts car. One Geo is only to sell (if only this electric car hobby didn't get in the way). No insurance or tags on the van or Buick since they are gas guzzlers. I really shouldn't keep them around, but I have this irrational fear that the moment I sell them, a need will arise. Oklahoma is so leanient on tags, it's great (just $15 late fee for tags). As much as I like to feel like a rebel and bandito, I'm too OCD to drive a car that doesn't have up-to-date tags and insurance....