Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009, 10:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
dang... I want that... haha.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-10-2009, 10:11 PM   #22 (permalink)
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
dang... I want that... haha.
LOL! Is that the new EV catch phrase? I showed my wife the video and she thought it was hilarious. Never saw Napolean Dynamite though......
Old 11-11-2009, 09:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
pvoppy: Do you have to pay registration and insurance in OK? How can you afford to have so many cars on the road? What is your secret?

It has already cost more for 2 years of basic insurance and registration than it cost (net) to make the ForkenSwift. Thinking about it kind of makes me woozy.

In my ideal world, there would be something like transferrable insurance (since I CAN ONLY DRIVE ONE CAR AT A TIME). Then I'd probably have about eleven cars too.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 11-11-2009, 09:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
pvoppy: Do you have to pay registration and insurance in OK? How can you afford to have so many cars on the road? What is your secret?

It has already cost more for 2 years of basic insurance and registration than it cost (net) to make the ForkenSwift. Thinking about it kind of makes me woozy.

In my ideal world, there would be something like transferrable insurance (since I CAN ONLY DRIVE ONE CAR AT A TIME). Then I'd probably have about eleven cars too.
regarding insurance - I think this is policy dependent, because I can change vehicles on my insurance as many times as I like, and don't need to keep them insured all the time.

Problem is that if I drop insurance on one, legally, it's not registered, either, so I lose the license plate (technically. If I maintain insurance on at least one vehicle, I don't get the notice to turn in the plates for any uninsured vehicle)

It costs $6 to transfer a registration here, and it's good the same day. Many insurance companies will pick up insurance on a car the day you call and add it to the policy, as well. If you wanted a summer and winter car, that would be the way to do it. Costs an extra $12 per year in registration, but saves you the $36 to register it all year when you only use it for part of the year, and saves insurance premiums, too.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:00 PM   #25 (permalink)
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

You have to have insurance to register. Insurance for my wife and I is about $40/month. Registration is $24.50/car. Here's how it has worked: I buy a car. I transfer insurance to it. I fix it up to where I feel comfortable driving it. I register it. Tags come up on another car, I transfer insurance, register it, and drive it. I have a garage I can store two cars in, which helps. I haven't insured or registered the Toyota in a while, since the engine blew. One Geo is strictly a parts car. One Geo is only to sell (if only this electric car hobby didn't get in the way). No insurance or tags on the van or Buick since they are gas guzzlers. I really shouldn't keep them around, but I have this irrational fear that the moment I sell them, a need will arise. Oklahoma is so leanient on tags, it's great (just $15 late fee for tags). As much as I like to feel like a rebel and bandito, I'm too OCD to drive a car that doesn't have up-to-date tags and insurance....
Old 12-02-2009, 12:32 AM   #26 (permalink)
The $500 Electric Car

I have been reading a lot in the yahoo groups about trailers. I've decided that I have a new goal for my Toyota: 60 miles on a single charge!!
Here's the new plan: I will get a small trailer that will hold a second battery pack. When the first one gets to about 50% DOD, plug in pack #2. I'll only need the second pack if I ever need to leave town (which I do once a week). That would effectively cover all of my driving needs....
Old 12-02-2009, 12:39 AM   #27 (permalink)

Do you have to license trailers that are only used to move generators in your area? Some places, you do not.. that EV add-on pack might qualify... not that it's at all expensive to register one, but if you're not starting from a pre-made trailer with a title, it can be difficult to obtain one at times.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:00 AM   #28 (permalink)
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Do you have to license trailers that are only used to move generators in your area? Some places, you do not.. that EV add-on pack might qualify... not that it's at all expensive to register one, but if you're not starting from a pre-made trailer with a title, it can be difficult to obtain one at times.
Nope, not here! Oil and ice storm country!
Old 12-02-2009, 01:06 AM   #29 (permalink)

Around here, we don't buy trailers, we buy titles.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:13 PM   #30 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpoppv View Post
Here's the new plan: I will get a small trailer that will hold a second battery pack. When the first one gets to about 50% DOD, plug in pack #2. I'll only need the second pack if I ever need to leave town (which I do once a week). That would effectively cover all of my driving needs....
1) That means your in-town pack could potentially be much smaller & lighter than it would otherwise need to be. 12v in-town & 6v highway packs?

2) I hope there are no hills where you're going

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Reply  Post New Thread