View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 09:54 PM   #88 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Late to the party

I finally saw the episode tonight.

I just posted this in the other thread on the same subject, but this one seems to have more meat in it, so I'm copying my message here.

(Too late to merge the 2 threads - would make a mess.)

Yes, some of what I copied below has been said in this thread already. Sorry.

-----

That was pretty darned entertaining!

FYI, you can view the video here: MEGAVIDEO - I'm watching it

When I saw the first test (dirt vs clean), I was sorely disappointed by their fuel measurement technique: note the fuel level in the sloshing tube by eye and mark with magnetic arrows!

I was relieved to see them ditch that method for the smooth vs. dimpled tests and opt for weighing the fuel cell each run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botsapper View Post
The now famous 'dimples' car should be retested w/ ecomodders' test suggestions.... Any other suggestions?...
Mine are mostly about the testing methods, either things I saw and took issue with, or things they didn't show which leave big questions.

1) They need to do A-B-A. Return the car to its original state to see if the observed effect disappears. Admittedly not easy to put the dimple material back in and smooth it again, but they should have tried something.

2) It seemed to me they were relying on Jamie to hold the car's speed. That's a no-no! Need to remove the human foot from the most sensitive input in the experiment - the gas pedal. They should have used cruise control or some other speed control.

3) It's fair to assume weather conditions (temp, particularly) would have changed between the two tests - it would have taken some time to carve out those 1082 dimples. They didn't take that into account. (We don't even know for sure if they did it on the same day due to the magic of editing.)

4) We don't know whether the car was equally warmed up for all tests. (Equal engine coolant temp doesn't count.) We're talking full drivetrain temps, including tires.

Their results are also really big (% improvement), which ratchets up the skepticism a bit more. They claimed 26 mpg (US) for smooth vs. 29.65 for dimpled. A 14% improvement! Yikes.

(Actually they said 26-something MPG for smooth. Let's call it 26.5 MPG, and that makes the improvement 11.9% - still massive.)

Has anyone double checked their calcs?

(Yes, they have. Some duplication here...)

smooth clay:

10056 g to 9553 g gasoline
or 503 g burned
26 mpg (US) their figures

dimpled clay:

9450 g to 8972 g gasoline
or 478 g burned
29.65 mpg (US) their figures

Gasoline weighs 6.073 lbs per US gallon (says wikipedia). 1 pound = 453.59237 grams, so 1 gallon = 2754.7 grams.

smooth: 5 mi / 503 grams = 5 mi / 0.182597 gal = 27.38 mpg (US)

dimpled: 5 mi / 478 grams = 5 mi / = 0.173522 gal = 28.81 mpg (US)

That's only a 5.2% improvement by my calcs using their data. So their own calcs seem fishy too. Unless I just screwed it up. (Plausible!)
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
Daox (11-13-2009), roflwaffle (11-13-2009)