View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #45 (permalink)
darcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
It had a 3.0 in it. I don't think Rangers ever got 3.8's.
Nope, Rangers didn't have a 3.8 stock... but his was a 2.8L not a 3.0L. The 3.0L didn't come until the early 90's.

I think the OP's hwy mileage goals are attainable without the extremes listed by Big Dave. I've previously had good luck with a second gen S10. In a completely stock, 1998 S10 (2.2L, 5spd, 2wd, long bed) I regularly got over 30mpg hwy by simply keeping speeds at about 60mph and going easy on the throttle.

If it were me, I'd start with basically the same truck (I'd have to go with an extended cab though, I'm too tall to fit comfortably in the regular cab which was part of why I sold it). 40mpg hwy is 43% above EPA rating, and I know there are people on here doing that well or better without extreme mods. I would:
  • Lower it 3/4 inches
  • add a tonneau cover
  • add a flush fitting grill block
  • add a partial (maybe full) belly pan
  • add wheel covers
  • change to higher gearing in the rear end
  • maybe add LRR tires

Between that and improved driving techniques I'm sure you could do 40mpg hwy. 30mpg city I think would be harder to hit, but it's not outrageous.

The S10 is a great little truck to start with because it has a relatively aerodynamic shape and both stock and aftermarket parts are plentiful.

Mike

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods