View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #226 (permalink)
Nerys
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
chuckm

I have no reason to doubt your info. I imagine its more than accurate but

"that method being much cheaper than electrolysis. "

on an INDUSTRIAL scale I have no doubt your right.

but on a end user HOME scale natural gas does not even come close to being as cheap as the electricity from my wall outlet. Its already more expensive (again going out and buying it) than gasoline is so it can not possibly save me any money. (it might be cheaper when its pumped to your home I Have no idea we don't have that infrastructure here)

"My second response pointed out that natural gas is cheaper than gasoline on a $/btu basis ("gge" being a way to compare the btu fuel value)."

this might be true but like ethanol does not pan out in reality.

$ per BTU is not what I have to pay for. $ per MILE is what I have to pay for.

according to the article at least the $ per Mile of gas even ignoring the conversion costs is only SLIGHTLY higher than your regular run of the mill car and HIGHER than you just above average mpg car. once you go above 35mpg gasoline is cheaper than Nat Gas and this is assuming the price from that article is the same today and not higher.

BTW I still have NO IDEA what Nat Gas costs. The article does not say. it just says they went 115.7 miles on $6.49 in nat gas. I have no idea "HOW MUCH" nat gas $6.49 IS nor what it costs today.

I just checked the latest price I could find is august 2009 from EIA at $15.15 for residential per thousand cubic feet which really does not help me much.

NOW I did notice that the INDUSTRIAL price is $4.13 per 1000 cubic feet which might explain why it was posted that it was cheaper to get hydrogen from CNG. alas we can't buy at that price as individuals. we pay $15.15 per unit probably a lot higher today since it was trending solidly UP since march of 2009 at $11.88 per unit and every single month till august where it stops it was higher each month.