View Single Post
Old 11-14-2009, 06:45 PM   #254 (permalink)
vpoppv
The $500 Electric Car

At some time in the future, I will build a FREE EV just for fun. I have the leftover solenoid controller thingy from the golf cart, so I'll probably make a 36v one. HEY! I could pull out the motor in my current car, and put in a bigger one, and use the smaller one for a.....no, I'm thinking too much....

Today's project was to build a battery rack for the front. Yes, I have been driving for 4 weeks with batteries just sitting in the trunk. Anyway, I cut the baby crib frame to the perfect size for 4 batteries, I just have to weld it together. I decided to practice first. This, as it turns out, was a great idea: I haven't welded since high school, and that's over 20 years ago. I bought a welder at Harbor Freight for $99 about 10 years ago, but never assembled it. I got it together and practice. And particed. And practiced some more! Man, I SUCK at welding! It's supposed to rain for about 3 days straight, so I guess I'm done practicing for a while; it looks like it will be a few more weekends of practice though before I am confident enough to tackle welding the front rack, much less begin fabricating the rear rack....