Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2009, 08:45 PM   #251 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Ohh, interesting question.

I was just joking about overspending. But I bet there would have been ways to cut down.

Looking at the ForkenSwift's cost list:

EG:

-$160 we really didn't need to spend the latest $160 on used batteries. The previous ones were delivering about 15-20 km comfortably. But the chance to buy up a relatively youthful pack (~2 years old!) doesn't come up often, and it increased range to 25-30 km comfortably in warm weather.

-$39.78 Could have done a zero cost ammeter.

-$25.00 Could have done a cheaper home made LED batt pack gauge, let's say half price

-$172.44 Could have skipped the cosmetic body & paint repairs

-$45.56 Ivan really didn't need to buy the "how to" books he got

So could have lopped $442.78 off the total! For a net of $554.82
$1000 EV is nice. $500 EV is feakin awesome.

I'd be making sure that people understand that your way wasn't as fiscally responsible as it could have been, and pointing out the ways that it could have been better in hindsight.

I only say this because lots of people are attracted to "cheap" DIY, and the cheaper the better. If I knew I could build an EV from junk laying around my Father's house, I'd be more than happy to buy a few little parts here and there, but $1000 just doesn't really make it for me.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #252 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
It's best just to lie. My EV was only $67.84.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #253 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
It's best just to lie. My EV was only $67.84.
Hey Paul, if I said that, my nose would be a lethal weapon! Watt
Old 11-14-2009, 06:45 PM   #254 (permalink)
The $500 Electric Car

At some time in the future, I will build a FREE EV just for fun. I have the leftover solenoid controller thingy from the golf cart, so I'll probably make a 36v one. HEY! I could pull out the motor in my current car, and put in a bigger one, and use the smaller one for a.....no, I'm thinking too much....

Today's project was to build a battery rack for the front. Yes, I have been driving for 4 weeks with batteries just sitting in the trunk. Anyway, I cut the baby crib frame to the perfect size for 4 batteries, I just have to weld it together. I decided to practice first. This, as it turns out, was a great idea: I haven't welded since high school, and that's over 20 years ago. I bought a welder at Harbor Freight for $99 about 10 years ago, but never assembled it. I got it together and practice. And particed. And practiced some more! Man, I SUCK at welding! It's supposed to rain for about 3 days straight, so I guess I'm done practicing for a while; it looks like it will be a few more weekends of practice though before I am confident enough to tackle welding the front rack, much less begin fabricating the rear rack....
Old 11-14-2009, 06:53 PM   #255 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Is it an arc welder? I've got a crappy one of those. The trick is to let it sit there for a minute and let a puddle develop. The puddle follows the heat. I kept welding too fast to make anything stick, then I started letting it sit in one spot for way too long, and then I finally got a good weld! hahaha. I'm a super crappy welder, though. I learned by watching a couple welding videos when I subbed in an autoshop class during my prep period.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:35 PM   #256 (permalink)
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
Is it an arc welder? I've got a crappy one of those. The trick is to let it sit there for a minute and let a puddle develop. The puddle follows the heat. I kept welding too fast to make anything stick, then I started letting it sit in one spot for way too long, and then I finally got a good weld! hahaha. I'm a super crappy welder, though. I learned by watching a couple welding videos when I subbed in an autoshop class during my prep period.
Yeah, it's an arc welder: "Utility Arc 1400". I actually took Agricultural Mechanics I and II in high school, and I was pretty good, but I had much better equipment. I just carved a piece of slag out of my hand while typing this....

Hey Paul, since Volt Blochers aren't being made anymore, maybe you could design a fullproof BMS in your spare time?
Old 11-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #257 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Hi,vppopv. Was going to try arc welding, but I went with flux core mig. HF has them, not too pricey. Made my battery rack and my coupler with it. Was practicing soldering wires today, yup, I sucked at it. Need to practice. That is one of the good things, learn new stuff. Watt.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:46 PM   #258 (permalink)
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by watt-a-mezz View Post
Hi,vppopv. Was going to try arc welding, but I went with flux core mig. HF has them, not too pricey. Made my battery rack and my coupler with it. Was practicing soldering wires today, yup, I sucked at it. Need to practice. That is one of the good things, learn new stuff. Watt.
Well, the arc welder is what I'm stuck with, because it's what I have. Practice makes perfect
Yeah, I REALLY need to learn to solder. Luckily, I have literally dozens of old motherboards I can practice on. That reminds me, I need to find my soldering irons....

I need to rip open all my stereo equipment to see what kinds of good parts I can pilfer to use in a controller
Old 11-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #259 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I dont have stereo parts, but I was playing with a skinned kelly 72300 today. Compared to MPaul's controller, these things are pityful. I wish I knew how to put pictures on these posts, Definately good for a laugh.Watt
Old 11-14-2009, 09:22 PM   #260 (permalink)
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by watt-a-mezz View Post
I dont have stereo parts, but I was playing with a skinned kelly 72300 today. Compared to MPaul's controller, these things are pityful. I wish I knew how to put pictures on these posts, Definately good for a laugh.Watt
OHH! Pics of Kelly guts!!! Hey, we're all about learning!! Take some pics and put them on a free website like photobucket.com and just click on image tab. Easier than welding and soldering!!

Reply  Post New Thread